Thursday, June 4, 2009

We start tomorrow

Mike and I went to the cancer center this morning and got the final tweeking before the treatments begin. Mike will have his first treatment tomorrow morning at 9:20. We will then meet with the oncology nurse for the chemo briefing at 11:00. Usually the cancer center is great at making sure all of one's appointments coincide with each other. We explained that since we are only a few blocks from the hospital, two trips tomorrow won't make a big difference. They are just so accomodating there.

We met a cute older couple this morning who are both receiving treatments for different kinds of cancer. The man for lung and the woman for liver. The woman told me that they get to sit together to get their infusions. She said they had always done things together and were so happy to do this. We also saw our friend Jane and her husband this morning. It was great to see Jane now 3 weeks into the same treatment protocol that Mike will be having. She indicated she is tolerating the treatments very well. She looked great. We feel blessed that the chemo treatments are an oral medication without the same side effects as the infusions.

Mike was off to a meeting with his partner and their accountant right after his appointment. We will be going to Tipton for a 2:00 appointment with a client. I may be visiting more job sites than I want to during these next several weeks! Mike said I will get paid for mileage... I truly am starting a new job.

Yesterday was a blue day for me. I think the rain/darkness and the fact that we were basically still waiting to get going on this made the difference.

I read yesterday: "Come unto me, all that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I am yoked again today with the Savior. I know the load will be easier to carry with Him carrying what I can't. Thanks again for your love, concern and prayers. They are what sometimes carry us through each day.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing such a fabulous job keeping your interested audience informed. As always, my thoughts and prayers are with the WHOLE Ellis family! Love, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nanc,
    Had a good talk with your Mom this morning, how lucky we are to have she and Bill in our lives. Your Mom and Dad have always given me so much strength and guidance, a true blessing in my life. You will make it through the dark days, there are just days that will always be darker than others. No different than other times of our lives, it just feels different now because you are not sure of what you face. Your strength and faith will see you through. Think of you daily, know that your journey is a challenge but one you and Mike will walk side by side and make it through. Glad you finally had to get a job...you will do your job well and have many fun trips with Mike at your side talking about one of the tings he loves most, his business. Don't forget to take care of yourself and make sure you are laughing about something everyday!!
    take care,
    love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike & Nancy, When you are out and about on the job sights remember I always need special lovely rocks for my garden:) If you are out near RT28 that garden place on the south side of the road near Elwood is GREAT!! I think I saw you 2 heading into BMH today, Nancy, if Mike is busy with his people during sessions I am across from the Credit Union on the ground floor:) but I won't make you deliver a route. Stay tough...........SusanT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike and Nancy,

    I found one of my favorite quotes . .and thought of you. President Hinckley was fond of quoting this.

    Jenkins Lloyd Jones wrote in a June 12, 1973 Deseret News column,
    "Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed.
    "Most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.
    "Life is like an old-time rail journey - delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride."


    Love you both!

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be nice to get things started and underway. There is a sense of accomplishment in "fighting back." We'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy and Mike, I follow your blog every day - at least until we get to Peru and then as I can. I thought of you yesterday as I left Indiana. I found that quote Jenkins Lloyd Jones to be inspirational. The trick as I've been able to gather it is to embrace the moment for all it has to offer. As I've looked back over the years and made a list of my most difficult moments, in every case I've found them to be the golden threads in my life. Gold is so expensive in so many ways isn't it...

    Our love and prayers go with you tomorrow into your first session. How great to have friends who are going through the same thing as you go through this. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mike and Nancy,
    I have not thanked you for opening up yourselves to us in such a gracious way as you do in your blog. Letting us in to your joys, struggles, strengths and faith is courageous and for me very humbling. I so appreciate that although struggles and growth often take place in private you are sharing eternal truths brought home now,with us all. We love you. Happy Belated birthdays and Happy Anniversary!
    ~John and Lori Ann

    ReplyDelete