Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Three visits in one...

Today at the cancer center while Mike had his radiation treatment, I went up to the surgeon's office with some paper work which he needed in order to write a letter for us. (Long story...) As I was winding my way back through the halls of the cancer center I ran into a man who looked very familiar to me. Once he introduced himself, I knew exactly who he was. Seems he heard about Mike's illness through his wife who is on a board with Mike. He is the head of psychological counseling at the cancer center. He was in fact looking for me. Mike and I had an opportunity to sit down with him, discuss the free counseling which the center offers and we made an appointment for next Tuesday. For those of you who know me well, you know I will never turn down an opportunity to talk to a counselor... Counselors listen...

After that meeting we met with a nutritionist. She was very complimentary of our current diet. She said that Mike certainly could eat food other than "organic foods" but that eating this way was certainly a choice that would not hurt in any way. We discussed the number of calories Mike should eat a day as well as the number of grams of protein that he needs to promote healing. We seem to be right on target with both. When we left, we both decided that we are going to stay away from refined sugar and white flour. Other than that, I think we will probably eat out occasionally, making good choices when we do so.

Mike was able to work from 8 to noon today. He felt so good about having some "billable" time. He has only taken a couple of naps and seems to be going strong yet this evening. He has several home projects lined up to do in his spare time. It is amazing to me how much he has accomplished in the weeks since his surgery. If you all didn't know it before now, Mike is truly an amazing man. He has such a great attitude and is doing so well. He is well loved at the cancer center. I guess I knew he would become a favorite. The technicians, receptionists, nurses and doctors are just so impressed with his enthusiasm, optimism and HUGE smile every day.

Every once in a while, I have a little melt down. Yesterday morning was one of those times. Not only did I get a phone call from a friend at just the right time, but I also thought of the words to a hymn which made me feel so comforted.

I will not doubt, I will not fear;
God's love and strength are always near.
His promised gift helps me to find
An inner strength and peace of mind.
I give the Father willingly
My trust, my prayers, humility.
His Spirit guides; his love assures
That fear departs when faith endures.

Aren't those just the greatest words? I hope these words will help someone else when they feel fearful.

6 comments:

  1. As always, you are AMAZING Nancy! Mike is soooo lucky/blessed to have you! (and you to have him!) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan is absolutely correct, that I am married to a remarkable woman. She is so well informed about these medical issues and we are progressing so well because of her great sensitivity to spiritual promptings and her medical knowledge. She has caught a couple mistakes which could have be devastating. I credit her with my rapid recovery.

    Yes, I do love the folks at the cancer center. In fact, I love folks everywhere. How can we not look at them and see their great worth? Each is unique and brings a desire to do their best. My attitude and smile is meant to encourage and cheer them as I also know they need fulfillment.

    Wednesday is going to be another productive and busy day. I get to go with my son to a pre-construction meeting and then meet with a client to discuss some masterplanning for relocation of some major elements of their business. Then I get to attend the annual board meeting and annual meeting of LifeStream Services (an area agency on ageing serving 7 counties). In order to accommodate some training needs at the cancer center, my appointments for radiation were moved to after lunch. We will also meet with the radiation oncologist after the treatment. I promise to try to squeeze in a nap or two along the way.

    It is great to feel somewhat productive and contributing again. I want each of you to know just how much your love, caring, and support means to us. Our neighbor, Beck also came again to mow the grass again this afternoon before the rains which are expected for the next 3 days. Thanks Beck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and Nancy, you are both AMAZING. You both are ministering to each of us and many others in some way every day. Thank you and we love you.
    Chris and Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to let you know I am stilling reading the blog.........and a special "Hi" to Hannah!
    SusanT

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an amazing hymn. I am so glad that we have the gospel and the Holy Ghost to comfort us during times like this. Thank you for keeping everyone updated. And Brother Ellis looks great with his new hairstyle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AMAZING is the only word for you two. It seems to be the WORD for the day and why not? Even though you are our kids, we never cease to be amazed by both of you. Your faith and love help keep us uplifted. Thanks be to Jackie Werner for insisting that we allow you, Nancy, to join the Morman kids on a bus trip to Mexico City back in the 1970's!! As always, Love and Prayers. J & B

    ReplyDelete