Friday, May 15, 2009

The 2:30 phone call

As I am sure many of you know when you have spent all day in such anxious anticipation as we did yesterday, sleep usually comes quite easily when you finally lay your head on a pillow. Seeing Mike after surgery was so difficult because he was in such excrutiating pain. After several hours of being with him and watching the doctors and nurses administer pain medicine to no relief, Hannah and I were finally able to rub his back and lull him to sleep. (Don't think it was our magic touch, it was the pain medicines finally kicking in.) We decided to come home so we, too could get some much needed sleep. I put the phone number of the ICU on my bedside table and was going to try to get some sleep until the very early morning. Much to my surprise at 2:30 the phone rang... It was Mike. Obviously the pain medication had finally kicked in. Mike sounded as high as a kite, but he sure wasn't feeling the kind of pain he had earlier experienced. He was so talkative, and I had been in such a deep sleep that I questioned him over and over as to who it was I was talking to! He wanted to make sure I was getting some sleep, that I would stay in bed until I woke up and then, he wanted me to sleep even more. He talked on and on and on and I think the nurse may have finally given him the sign that he needed to get off the phone so I could actually go back to sleep. Hannah and I obviously had a good chuckle to hear Mike so dang talkative and funny at 2:30 in the morning... Mike would NEVER call someone in the middle of the night. This may be the new Mike! Obviously I am awake now and hoping that in the next hour or so I will feel sleepy enough to go back to bed. Another small miracle...the pain is controlled now. I am thinking of giving Mike one of your phone numbers so he can "chat" with you tomorrow night :)

We certainly didn't get the news we had hoped for yesterday...We are gearing up for radiation and chemo and are hoping beyond hope that the cancer that may still exist in Mike's body will be killed. Yesterday the news seemed bleak... The dawning of a new day makes everything seem a little easier. We feel your prayers and support. The fight is just beginning... but with God all things are possible.

11 comments:

  1. Ellis Family,
    We just learned of Mike's surgery from Eric Scherrer and wanted to let you know that ours prayers are with Mike and all of you.
    Brian and Janie Allardt and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy,
    Although you must have been very worried when that phone woke you up, I'm so glad it was Mike and that even though he wasn't exactly himself, he was awake, he was pain free and he gave you and Hannah a reason to giggle! In the possibly tough days ahead, you are going to need to look for reasons to laugh...as laughter can be just as healing as medicine. So, laugh when you can and hopefully you and Mike will laugh together often in the years to come.

    Thanks for the updates...I worried all day yesterday and although the news wasn't as good as you wanted, at least the surgery is behind you...now, on to the next step. We will continue to think of you guys and send you all the positive energy we can...
    Love,
    Cindy, Jeff & Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy,

    Thank you for your blog about Mike's middle-of-the-night phone call. It confirms my belief that Mik is a fighter. I hope you can continue to find moments of humor each day.
    Love,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy, Mike, Hannah, Tyler and Andy,
    There is not much more I can say that hasn't been said. I have never been a very spiritual person, but this news has made me begin to pray for your entire family. No matter what this brings your faith and love will no doubt get you through this. All of the well wishes and love being brought into your lives will no doubt have a positive influence on Mike's recovery and we can get through this together with the love of family and friends. I love you all and if there is ANYTHING our family can do to help don't we are here....and I am a night owl so if you need some food delivered at random hours of the morning, Ill be up!!
    Hope and Happiness,
    Matt Pieroni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad this first step went well, Nancy. Our prayers are with you as you continue this journey.

    Sarah Paulsen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy-
    Thank you for keeping those who care informed about Mike's progress as he travels through this uncertain this in his life. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You two have brought such meaningful happiness to so many. Roni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it nice to have a moment to laugh? Maybe Mike will have some new personality traits . . . Perhaps he won't even remember calling you so early in the a.m. It will be a good family memory!
    Love you and praying for you all,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this and thought it very apporopriate. Hope you agree....."Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" -Matt P-

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful night-time tale!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mike,

    You are great witness to us all. Many prayers flowing from these quarters!

    Love and Peace,
    Pete Walters

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi mike-great new look. if i didn't know better, i would think you were still in your 30's! ok, maybe not. probably nice for the golf season. janice and i remember you in our prayers daily. ringo

    ReplyDelete